Which Antivirus Software do you use ? Why?

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

acluett89
Playground Scrub

Which Antivirus Software do you use ? Why?

Post by acluett89 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:22 am

Anti-virus Software's are much essential programs of every Windows PC these days. Surfing online without an updated anti-virus program is like inviting viruses, adwares and Malwares, which harms your pc.Here are some best anti-virus programs . So Guys, Which of these Antivirus Software do you use ? Why?

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Re: Which Antivirus Software do you use ? Why?

Post by Sir Purrcival » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:47 am

I do a lot of home computer work for people and mostly, they want to stay with free software.

Depending on the age of the computer and resources it has, I use the following

Avast
AVG
AVIRA

I also have a limited number of machines running McAffee and use Symantecs Corporate AV for some networks.

It is more a question of why I don't use Norton Antivirus which pretty blatantly plugged in just about every computer show. I call it Bloatware. I can't count how many computer systems I have worked on where the chief complaint is the slowness of the machine. All other things being good, I can almost predict whether or not they are using Norton. Funny how once it is removed and something else is in it's place that a machine will start working adequately.
Lest We Forget!

cfldave
Superstar

Post by cfldave » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:22 pm

For my needs AVG is fine. I've tried Norton but it slows things down and earlier versions seemed to have some bugs that stopped me from getting scans completely finished. Although in fairness that problem may have been caused by a virus that snuck past the Norton system.
Don't Give Up: Don't Give In: But Do Give Back

B-17
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by B-17 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:35 am

When I purchased my Dell a few months back, I went with the McAfee AV, spyware, firewall etc that Dell offered in their configuration options as I figured Dell would have done some testing to ensure compatibility with their systems, plus it came preloaded. Went for a multiyear subscription, set it up for automatic updates, and everything is working fine.
Black holes are where God divided by 0.
- Stephen Wright

Soundy
Playground Hero

Post by Soundy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:57 pm

I've used Avast for the longest time, and even used Avast Internet Security (includes firewall, spam filtering, etc.) on one laptop... but lately I've found it tends to slow the machines down more and more. Someone suggested Microsoft Security Essentials, and it's been working great for me. Free download from Microsoft, worth a look for sure!

Also, check out Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for a free spyware scanner.

CFL in Quebec
All Star

Post by CFL in Quebec » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:33 pm

At home, I'm using Linux as OS full time since 3 years. I'm FREE !

Bobbyp
All Star

Post by Bobbyp » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:10 am

Kapersky the guy at the shop I had my computer redun at said it was good.
“98% of people will die sometime in their lives.”