Lions guarantee win over ‘Riders Sunday

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

2014 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Lions guarantee win over ‘Riders Sunday

Postby D » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:47 pm

BC Lions Football Club president and CEO Dennis Skulsky made a historic announcement this afternoon by guaranteeing a win over the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Sunday afternoon when the teams meet at BC Place presented by Save-On-Foods. It’s the first time in the club’s 61 seasons that it has publicly announced a guaranteed win.

“The Saskatchewan Roughriders have challenged this community,” said Skulsky. “They have purchased billboards promoting their team and they’re hosting a ‘Rider fan party and rally in our backyard. We’re a very good football team and we’re here to proudly represent this city and this province. The best way to do that is to win on Sunday and we guarantee that will happen.”

If the Lions fall short of their goal, all fans in attendance can redeem their game ticket from Sunday’s tilt for a ticket of equal value to one of the club’s four remaining regular season home games.

The guarantee comes almost one month after the club announced that additional seats in the upper bowl of BC Place were being made available to accommodate the demand for tickets to Sunday’s game.

“I know our fans will bring the Roar Factor on Sunday and when you combine that with the hard work and determination of our coaching staff and players, it gives everyone in our organization the confidence that together we can achieve great things,” added Skulsky.

The BC Lions (5-3) take on the Saskatchewan Roughriders (5-2) at BC Place on Sunday, August 24th at 4:00 pm. Tickets start at just $30.00 all-in, if you haven't got your tickets already we hope to see you at BC Place for this huge western showdown!

Here is the Billboard in question
I own The Grey Cup! .com

2014 MVP

Re: Lions guarantee win over ‘Riders Sunday

Postby D » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:53 pm

and the poster for the pre game rally
Riderville-BC-Tour-Poster.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I own The Grey Cup! .com

All Star

Postby AGENT-784 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:26 pm

Forget the billboard for just a moment and look at the bold letters at the bottom.
PATTISON. Yeah they do own a lot of billboards on the west coast.
Isn't this particular game being "presented" by Save-On-Foods, also owned by PATTISON.
Remember back in the late 80's, when PATTISON was interested in buying a collapsing BC Lions Football Club, when in reality, the real target was BC Place Stadium.
As we know, a deal never happened.
Still have to wonder about the possibilities for the Lions had PATTISON bought the stadium and the team.
Still wonder if PATTISON would have been good for the rest of the CFL.
What about BC Place Stadium, given the land values, would PATTISON have redeveloped the entire site, long before any renovation.
Jim Pattison started his empire on the west coast, built it methodically, to become one the most influential business moguls of our time. Not bad at all. He was born in Saskatoon, SASKATCHEWAN.
Just saying.
Technology is the branch of knowledge which turns irreplaceable natural things into disposable dead things.

Starter
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Postby argonaut11xx » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:39 pm

I am attending the game , in FULL Argo gear, only to "BOO" the riders...the other 4 folks are going to be outfitted as Lions fans.

All Star

Postby AGENT-784 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:33 pm

This game lived up to expectations.
Riders controlled the ball and the clock better than the home team. Don't take anything away from them.
I will throw the Lions' coaches under the bus for the way they bungled the use of their challenges.
Firstly, why bother challenging pass interference unless it is completely obvious that a foul had occurred.
Secondly, Riders illegally recovered a fumble, and the coaches don't challenge deep in the Rider zone. Not only were the Lions the last team to legally touch the ball, the Riders would also have been flagged for illegal participation. Riders clearly lucked out on that one, thanks to the BC bench not being aware, on a play that should not have gone under the radar.
Technology is the branch of knowledge which turns irreplaceable natural things into disposable dead things.

All Star

Postby 294life » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:04 pm

Wow. Losing at home to the riders' backup. Jinx much mister Skulsky?
Grey Cup 102. Back to school.

Superstar

Postby cfldave » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:21 pm

The game itself was worth the price of admission...no really, I'm not talking about the free game ticket I'm getting either.
Don't Give Up: Don't Give In: But Do Give Back

2014 MVP
Favourite Team: Ottawa

Postby Glenegade » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Wow! I was envious of all the attention this game was getting on Sunday vs. Our game hosting Calgary.

Now we hold the big game Friday night, The RedBlacks in Montreal for the suckbowl or toilet bowl, as the stopable force meets the moveable object.
Undefeated So Far In 2006!

2014 MVP

Postby D » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:34 pm

they score 3 points in the final 3 quarters ... that won't get it done

I still like the promotion. and if the riders put that billboard up again I hope we continue to find a way to respond
I own The Grey Cup! .com

2014 MVP
Favourite Team: Ottawa

Postby Glenegade » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:20 pm

D wrote:they score 3 points in the final 3 quarters ... that won't get it done

That's not enough? That's all we scored last game! And the home game before that, our offense scored 3 points less than that.
Undefeated So Far In 2006!

Return to Canadian Professional Football