Let's get this forum rolling again

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Rookie
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Let's get this forum rolling again

Postby VICIOUSCIRCLE » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:56 am

Come on CFL'ers let's get this place rocking again, the 2016 season's about to begin, lets stir the pot.
You better bite your bottmom lip I'm coming in dry.

:beer:

:D

Hall of Famer

Re: Let's get this forum rolling again

Postby FootbalYouBet » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:15 pm

VICIOUSCIRCLE wrote:Come on CFL'ers let's get this place rocking again, the 2016 season's about to begin, lets stir the pot.

I too would like to see this site become active again
Don't confuse me with facts

All Star

Postby Magnum » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:23 am

ok

2014 MVP
Favourite Team: Ottawa

Postby Glenegade » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:38 pm

Wow, it is really quiet in here.

When you use to want to talk about your CFL team, you came here to do it, but years ago, every team developed their own team board, so they would be closer with their friends, peers, and have biased liberty totally supported.

The best way there would be to get this site going again would be to have each teams most popular site have a forum or folder dedicated to the 13thman that would post each post on each and every other board, That way, there'd be the 13thman on all nine teams sites. but it would be tough to get that going, and I know *poop* about computers.
Undefeated So Far In 2006!

Hall of Famer

Postby FootbalYouBet » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:07 pm

with cfl.ca going down here, it would be nice if regular posters there switched over to here.

Superstar

Postby Sir Purrcival » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:55 pm

Indeed, it seemed that this forum never really recovered from whatever that incident was where I think posters from one team got really piled on. This used to be neutral territory and maybe it could become so again. It would certainly beat having the "troll" word thrown around every time a poster from another team wants to comment on something football.
Lest We Forget!

All Star

Postby Magnum » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:11 am

No Area 51 please. The guy is such a Debbie Downer.

Hall of Famer

Postby FootbalYouBet » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:09 pm

Magnum wrote:No Area 51 please. The guy is such a Debbie Downer.

aww man, this don't help ehh

Legend

Postby iso_55 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:21 am

What I'm going to say will stir some people up here as they won't like it but sometimes the truth will set you free. To be blunt, I was around here back in the so called "Good Old Days". Some mods became power hungry bullies & pushed their weight around too much with bannings, threats of bannings, deleting posts, sending mean spirited & nasty private messages. I remember getting a PM from a mod who said he didn't like me & that he would not stop badgering me until eventually I was perma banned. Members like me became fed up & decided to move on after putting up with nothing but *poop* & abuse. Who needs it?
Also, cliques developed where members would gang up on others here with the help of certain mods who looked the other way. These same cliques, usually led by fanbase members of some eastern based teams would always post about their get togethers during the year. This place became like more of a social club which turned a lot of other fans off especially western based teams. You knew if you part of the "In Crowd" or not here just by the way you were treated & respected, that's for sure. If you were a western fan chances are you weren't part of the in crowd here. Unless you partied with those members at Grey Cup time. Then you were okay.
I remember the time when Esks fans left here in anger & never came back after their team was mocked on the trade deadline when they traded for a running back from Hamilton & other teams fans posted hundreds of messages accusing the Esks of trying to buy a Grey Cup. Just a ton of bad feelings when that occurred. That started the decline here & it happened pretty fast. People just left.
With the advent of team sites, 13thman will never come close to where it was a decade ago. Too bad because at one time this was the biggest CFL website anywhere.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

All Star

Postby Magnum » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:57 am

Is anyone moderating this site anymore?

Playground Hero
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Postby Mallard » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:47 am

This is my first visit back in quite a while and I see it's still not used a lot. Too bad too, I really enjoyed this site.

Superstar

Postby Sir Purrcival » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:36 am

I think this site has dropped from the awareness of many football fans. It would also be fair to say that other fan forums have had their struggles as well. I"m not familiar with all that have come and gone but even some of the most established fan forums have had their upheavals. Some survived, others faded into non-existence, changed names, changed ownership etc. etc. I would love the ideal egalitarian site to be a reality but in truth, I don't think such an animal exists. People are people after all; there are some who by virtue of temperament who will be belligerent, overly in your face, dismissive and disrespectful. By far and away however, they are a pitiful few and really don't deserve the regard they get. Some think that shouting something long enough equates to winning when really people who disagree basically just leave because they don't want to hear the shtick any further. In truth it is the opposite that needs to happen. Forums require thoughtful, respectful discourse to survive and when those who pursue those aims disengage because of the actions of a misbehaving few, we all suffer from the loss. I don't know if fans could see their way to come back to this site but in a world increasingly filled with animosity, mis-characterizations, personal attacks and so on, it is important that people strive to remember what it was that excited them about such forums in the first place. Things like shared love of a game, the "friendly" competition between fans of different teams, the recognition that all fans of all teams should have the opportunity to feel excited about their teams without fear of ridicule and insult and above all, that all fans of all teams are equally valuable and ardent about this sport. The sins of some should not be forgotten but they should neither dictate the future. Some things are worth defending. Knowledge, camaraderie, healthy competition are among those things.
Lest We Forget!

All Star

Postby Magnum » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:54 pm

Perhaps we can get a bit of chatter on here for this upcoming season.

Superstar

Postby Sir Purrcival » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:42 am

Anything is possible but it might require a bit of PR work on other forums. It also partly rests with D. I know at one point he was musing about doing something different with this site. Maybe he can weigh in if feels so inclined?
Lest We Forget!

Legend
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Postby ArgoDave » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:56 am

iso_55 wrote:What I'm going to say will stir some people up here as they won't like it but sometimes the truth will set you free. To be blunt, I was around here back in the so called "Good Old Days". Some mods became power hungry bullies & pushed their weight around too much with bannings, threats of bannings, deleting posts, sending mean spirited & nasty private messages. I remember getting a PM from a mod who said he didn't like me & that he would not stop badgering me until eventually I was perma banned. Members like me became fed up & decided to move on after putting up with nothing but *poop* & abuse. Who needs it?
Also, cliques developed where members would gang up on others here with the help of certain mods who looked the other way. These same cliques, usually led by fanbase members of some eastern based teams would always post about their get togethers during the year. This place became like more of a social club which turned a lot of other fans off especially western based teams. You knew if you part of the "In Crowd" or not here just by the way you were treated & respected, that's for sure. If you were a western fan chances are you weren't part of the in crowd here. Unless you partied with those members at Grey Cup time. Then you were okay.
I remember the time when Esks fans left here in anger & never came back after their team was mocked on the trade deadline when they traded for a running back from Hamilton & other teams fans posted hundreds of messages accusing the Esks of trying to buy a Grey Cup. Just a ton of bad feelings when that occurred. That started the decline here & it happened pretty fast. People just left.
With the advent of team sites, 13thman will never come close to where it was a decade ago. Too bad because at one time this was the biggest CFL website anywhere.

You're still alive Alvin? ;)

There is *some* truth in there but as another long time member from here and from Total-CFL before it I disagree with the idea that western fans had it worse here. Not even close to Argo fans. Recall when Sherwood bailed on the team and west fans...especially Rider fans...were all screaming to let the Argos die? Or how just about every year some westerners would be crying and moaning...again the prairie fans mostly...about eastern teams exceeding the Cap until of course they started to win the same way....western fans ALWAYS outnumbered east fans here so many of the "in crowd" as you say were west of Ontario. Heck we only had 3 or 4 Als fans I can recall and we lost a bunch of Ottawa fans when the Renegades died.

Brad and Derek both had great boards going that for the most part were fun to visit but time marches on, boards like these aren't as good on small tablet or phone screens like FB is and the new social media is all the younger generation know how to use.

Personally I used to have the time and desire to sit on my computer every night to trade banter with fellow fans but life has just gotten too busy. I find now when I do get online it's on my phone for just a few minutes here and there. I don't even go to Argofans anymore, dunno half the people there.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Next

Return to Canadian Professional Football