Moderator: Referees

Hollywood2
Champion
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Leafs march to the Stanley Cup thread

Post by Hollywood2 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:10 pm

Image TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS: CANADA'S TEAM
BRINGING EXCELLENCE TO HOCKEY

This site needs a thread to keep track of the Toronto Maple Leafs' inevitable march to the Stanley Cup. So here it is. This will be the greatest thread on this message board.

Image The big news from the NHL draft was that the Leafs acquired Jeff O'Neill. IMO, this is bigger news than the drafting of Sidney Crosby. After all, Crosby is not a Leaf. He is a mere Penguin. CLICK HERE for the press release.
MapleLeafs.com wrote:Leafs Acquire Jeff O'Neill

(July 30, 2005) -- John Ferguson, general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, announced Saturday that the club has acquired forward Jeff O'Neill from Carolina in exchnage for a conditional fourth round pick in the 2006 Entry Draft.

The Maple Leafs also announced that O'Neill was signed to a multi-year contract. In keeping with club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

O'Neill, 29, played 67 games for Carolina in 2003-04 collecting 34 points (14 goals, 20 assists) with 60 penalty minutes. He finished first on the team in powerplay goals (7), second in game winning goals (4), second in shots (207) and third in goals.

The native of King City, Ontario enjoyed his best season in 2000-01 setting career highs in games played (82-tie), goals (41), points (67) and penalty minutes (106). He led the Hurricanes in goals for four consecutive years (1999-00 to 2002-03) and twice led the team in points (2000-01 and 2002-03).

He played in the 2003 NHL All-Star Game and reached the Stanley Cup Finals with Carolina in 2002. He scored three goals in six games against Toronto in the Conference Finals that year.

O'Neill has played 673 career NHL games for Hartford and Carolina collecting 416 points (198 goals, 218 assists) with 552 penalty minutes. In 34 career NHL playoff games he has collected 17 points (nine goals, eight assists) with 37 penalty minutes. He was originally Hartford's first choice, fifth overall in the 1994 Entry Draft.

So Jeff O'Neill will be a Leaf. Here he is in his 'Canes uniform: Image The next time he pulls on a jersey it will be the blue & white! He must be proud.

The Leafs have several great wallpapers ready for download. I am showing some samples. CLICK HEREImage to see them all and to download your favourite. Oh the choices!

Image Just think! Next year they'll have with Mats Sundin holding the Stanley Cup!

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

GO LEAFS GO! GO LEAFS GO! GO LEAFS GO! GO LEAFS GO!

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:14 pm

Trouble is their "march" usually ends in in early May... :lol:
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Alswin
Champion
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by Alswin » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:16 pm

Is it 1966?

Hollywood2
Champion
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by Hollywood2 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:17 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:Trouble is their "march" usually ends in in early May... :lol:
You are an evil non-beleafer! You are hereby condemned to burn in Hades! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:20 pm

Hollywood2 wrote:
Inquiring Mind wrote:Trouble is their "march" usually ends in in early May... :lol:
You are an evil non-beleafer! You are hereby condemned to burn in Hades! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Probably will burn... since it will take hell freezing over for the Lafs to win the Cup.... :lol:

I think these "Canada's Team" tags may actually be the kiss of death.... :rotf:
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

argonutty
All Star

Post by argonutty » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:00 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:Probably will burn... since it will take hell freezing over for the Lafs to win the Cup.... :lol:

I think these "Canada's Team" tags may actually be the kiss of death.... :rotf:

Is that why Montreal won that many? And is that why Toronto never wins them? Because of that "Canada's Team" curse?

O'Neill had a bad year in 03-04. I loved him in Guelph, but he better impress me early and often in the Blue and White.

Freak
Legend
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by Freak » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:42 pm

The problem with chanting 1967 is that most of the Leafs players remember entering third grade at the time.

larz-7
Hall of Famer

Post by larz-7 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:03 pm

Freak wrote:The problem with chanting 1967 is that most of the Leafs players remember entering third grade at the time.

i remember it like it was yesterday
humans are the only creatures on this planet that let their children back in after they leave home )B Cosby

RoarULions
Playground Hero

Post by RoarULions » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:07 pm

Jeff O'Niell. :D That's what the leafs need another 3 million dollar contract. Has anyone mentioned the salary cap to Ferguson yet. :?:

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by D » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:09 pm

This will be the greatest thread on this message board.

Greatest? .... longest maybe .... and expect it to be a long march as well .... hell the Leaf nation has been marching since 1967 :twisted: :rotf:

PS ... O'niell is a good pickup 8)
I own The Grey Cup! .com

Freak
Legend

Post by Freak » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:13 pm

I will grant that O'Neill is a good pickup. Too bad, I used to like him. :wink:

cromartie
Superstar

Post by cromartie » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:18 pm

Toronto Maple Leafs' inevitable march to the Stanley Cup.

Who's buying them tickets?

You are aware it takes 16 wins to get the Cup now, right? Probably not since it was half that the last time the Leafs won it.

Next year they'll have with Mats Sundin holding the Stanley Cup

Actually, for $10, anyone can hold it at the Hall of Fame. Not a big accomplishment for him, since he lives in Toronto, after all.

zarrell
Champion

Post by zarrell » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:34 pm

This thread is missing a few of these:

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
ping wrote:im now a ticat fan!!!!

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by D » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:35 pm

Just think! Next year they'll have with Mats Sundin holding the Cup!

here is the pic to prove it :wink:
I own The Grey Cup! .com

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:48 pm

Freak wrote:The problem with chanting 1967 is that most of the Leafs players remember entering third grade at the time.

Actually I don't think most of the current Leafs were even glints in their parents eyes yet much less entering third grade.... '67 was a looooooong time ago.... :lol:

On another note I'm happy for O'Neil, I always thought he got a raw deal with everything he did with the 'Canes and getting so little recognition for it.
-